Table of Contents
2023 Wuhan University for Belt and Road Program
About Wuhan University
Wuhan University is a comprehensive and key national university directly under the administration of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China. It is a participant university of the “985” project and “211 Project” in China and also one of the first universities approved under the national “Double First Class” initiative.
In 2022, the University ranked 157 in the Thames Higher Education (THE) World University Ranking, 101-150 in the Soft Science World University Academic Ranking (ARWU), and 194 in the QS World University Ranking, an international education research institution.
Wuhan University is located in Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province, which enjoys the reputation of “thoroughfare of nine provinces”, with convenient transportation. The university features spectacular natural surroundings with the scenic Luojia Hill in it and the beautiful East Lake by its side.
Its 346-hectare campus is wooded and green, and has fragrant flowers everywhere all the year round. The buildings are in special architectural styles, magnificent and mansion looking. Therefore, Wuhan University is acknowledged as one of the most beautiful universities in China.
Wuhan University has been receiving international students since the 1930s, and is one of the earliest institutions in China to admit international students. So far, Wuhan University has received and trained nearly 11,000 international students from more than 169 countries and regions in the world.
About Belt and Road Program
The Chinese Government Scholarship-Belt and Road Program is a scholarship established by the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China to support some Chinese colleges and universities to directly select and recommend talented international students from the Belt and Road Countries to study in China.
Wuhan University is one of the prestigious universities designated to undertake this program to recruit graduate students to study for Master’s or Doctoral degree in the following majors:
Geospatial Information Technology (including Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Cartography and Geographical Information Engineering, Geodesy and Surveying Engineering, Remote Sensing Science and Technology);
Civil and Water Resources (former Hydraulic Engineering);
Civil Engineering (including Geotechnical Engineering and Structural Engineering);
Urban and Rural Planning.
Supporting Categories, Duration, Instruction Language and Majors
1. The scholarship supports master’s degree applicants and doctoral degree applicants.
2. Duration of the scholarship, which covers both major study and Chinese language study, lasts 1 year for language courses study, whereas 2-3 years for master’s degree study, and 3-4 years for doctoral degree study.
3. Instruction language: Chinese/English.
4. The details of majors available can be found from the following attachment.
1. Tuition and application fee waiver;
2. Free accommodation;
3. Living allowance；
4. Comprehensive medical insurance.
(International travel expenses: self-afforded)
For more details about the scholarship, please visit the website at http://www.campuschina.org/
To be eligible, an applicant must:
1. be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality from the Belt and Road countries and in good health both mentally and physically;
2. be an academically excellent holder of a Bachelor’s degree under the age of 35 when applying for a Master’s program;
3. be an academically excellent holder of a Master’s degree under the age of 40 when applying for a doctoral program;
4. have passed the HSK (Level 4) when applying for a Chinese-taught postgraduate program. Applicants who have passed HSK ( Level 5) or above can apply for major study directly, and those who have passed the HSK (Level 4) can apply to take Chinese language courses for one year first, then move on to the major study after meeting the requirement.
Those who have used Chinese as the language of instruction to obtain a degree in a Chinese university are exempt to provide proof of the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK). However, the proof that they have been instructed in Chinese must be provided;
5. provide a report of English Language Test when applying for English-taught program (TOEFL 80+/TOEFL Essential 8+/IELTS 5.5+). Those who cannot offer the above-mentioned standard English test result can provide a proof of their previous studying at an institution where the teaching language is English, and will be required to take additional oral or written English test organized by Wuhan University.
Native English-speaking applicants could be exempted from providing the above English proficiency certificate.
Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply
Apply online to Wuhan University directly.
When to Apply
Apply between January 1st and April 15, 2023.
Application documents submitted online after the deadline of April 15 will not be considered.
Procedure of Application
1. Firstly, register and submit online application at Chinese Government Scholarship Information System at http://www.campuschina.org/. The code of Wuhan University is 10486. Please Choose Program category– type B which refers to scholarship programs responsible by Chinese universities under Chinese Government Scholarship.
After completing the online application, please download and print a hard copy of the “Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship”.
2. Next, register and submit online application at Wuhan University Online Application System for International Students at http://admission.whu.edu.cn. Please choose sources of funds — Chinese Government Scholarship Program.
After completing the online application, please download and print a hard copy of the “Application Form for International Students of Wuhan University”.
1. Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship (filled in Chinese or English online);
2. Application Form for International Students of Wuhan University (filled in Chinese or English online);
3. A scanned copy of the Ordinary Passport biographical page. An applicant shall submit a clear scanned copy of the biographical page of his/her passport that will not expire on or before March 1, 2024. Renew the passport if the requirement is not met;
4. Notarized highest diploma (degree certificate) and transcripts (from the undergraduate program onwards). Copies of academic records from first to last semester during the undergraduate, graduate (if any). Prospective diploma recipients should submit an official pre-graduation certificate, transcript and on-school conduct certificate issued by your current school.
The pre-graduation certificate should prove not only your current student status, but also the expected degree certificate and graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations;
5. A copy of valid HSK certificate is required if applying for Chinese-taught program. A copy of valid English level certificate for English-taught program (e. g TOEFL or IELTS);
6. A study or research plan written in Chinese or in English (no less than 1000 words). The content shall include completely and clearly your personal introduction, education experiences, the purpose of your study in China, your knowledge of China and Wuhan University, study plan, research direction, and future development vision, etc.
7. Two recommendation letters in Chinese or English from professors or associate professors;
8. A photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (The original document, printed by Chinese quarantine authorities, shall be filled in English or Chinese and kept by the applicant.) The medical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form, which can be downloaded from: http://admission.whu.edu.cn/en/?c=content&a=list&catid=81.
Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are invalid. Medical examination results are valid for only six months;
9. An acceptance letter from the professor of Wuhan University (can be downloaded from http://admission.whu.edu.cn/en/?c=content&a=list&catid=81, filled in Chinese or English),which is not mandatory, but will serve as a priority of preliminary evaluation in granting the Chinese Government Scholarship;
10. A valid Certificate of Non-Criminal Record in English or Chinese. The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record (or Police Clearance Certificate) issued by the local public security authority (such as the police station), usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application.
1. There is no application fee for Chinese Government Scholarship-Belt and Road Program in Wuhan University. Applicants should apply directly to Wuhan University and cannot submit application document through any intermediary agencies.
2. Ineligible or incomplete applications are invalid. Please ensure that an accurate phone number, email address and mailing address (including postcode, city name) are provided.
3. Applicants do not need to send us hard copies of application documents. Some of the applicants will receive the interview notice informed by our schools around April.
4. Those applicants who do not receive our email notice before the end of April have failed the preliminary evaluation of the university.
5. In addition to the above-mentioned application document, the university has the right to require the applicant to provide other materials if it is necessary.
6. Please visit the website http://admission.whu.edu.cn/cn/?c=content&a=list&catid=165 for the frequently asked questions if you have any doubts about the application.
7. About application status, please visit our website for the latest information.
Admission and Registration
1. The pre-admitted students will be informed by e-mail around the end of May, 2023. The final result of scholarship winners will be informed at the end of July 2023, and the official admission document will be delivered at that time.
2. Scholarship recipients should register for admission in accordance with the time specified in the Admission Notice in early September 2023. Please bring the originals of all the required application documents when coming to school for registration.
Those who provide pre-graduation certificate when applying should bring the original formal graduation certificate for registration. Scholarship will not be reserved if the scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
3. The Scholarship recipients shall not be allowed to change their host university, field of study, or duration of study stipulated on the Admission Notice after they come to China.
4. The Scholarship qualification will be evaluated annually.
Admissions Office 101, School of International Education, Wuhan University, No.299, Bayi Road, Wuchang District., Wuhan, Hubei Province, China.
Post code: 430072
WHU Web: http://admission.whu.edu.cn
CSC Web: http://www.csc.edu.cn/Laihua/
If you want to get more information, please contact us: chinascholarship.net