2023 Hainan University Confucius Institute Scholarship
Details of Scholarship
is a national-provincial public comprehensive university in Haikou, Hainan, China. In December 2008, it was approved by the state as a key university under the Double First Class University Plan.
For the purpose of satisfying the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries, the Center For Language Education And Cooperation(CLEC) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship, hereinafter referred to as“the scholarship. Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers,
Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (hereinafter collectively referred to as “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges.
As one of the host institutions of the scholarship recipients, outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers are welcome to apply for the program at Hainan University. The application procedures are as follows:
Scholarship types and qualifications in Hainan University
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
Scholarship for One-Semester Study
Scholarship for Four-Week study
Scholarship Eligibility of 2023 Hainan University Confucius Institute Scholarship
All applicants shall be
a) non-Chinese citizens;
b) in good physical and mental condition, with good academic performance and conduct;
c) committed to Chinese Language education, teaching and related work;
d) between the ages of 16 and 35 (account on September 1st , 2023). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45.
A. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study
The program commences in September 2023, and provides scholarship for a maximum of 11 months. International students who have benefited from similar scholarships are not eligible.
Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages(TCSOL)
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 270 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
Chinese Language and Literature
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (intermediate level).
Chinese Language Study
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK test (Level 3) , Priority will be given to applicants who provide an HSKK test score.
B. Scholarship for One-Semester Study
Commences either in September 2023 or March 2024, and provides scholarship of maximum 5 months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
TCSOL & Chinese Language and Literature
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 in HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
C. Scholarship for Four-Week study
The program commences either in July or December 2023, and provides a four-week scholarship. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
Chinese Language Study
An HSK test score is required. The program may be organized and applied for by a recommending institution with 10-15 participants per group. Prior to the trip,a detailed study plan shall be made in consultation with Hainan University and such plan shall be submitted to CLEC for approval.
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance（Four-Week study students are excluded）and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of the university to provide teaching and management of scholarship students organizing cultural and social activities, as well as organizing Chinese language proficiency tests.
Hainan University provides scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms).
For those who live off campus (with the permission from Hainan University) are entitled to a monthly or quarterly accommodation allowance from Hainan University. The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
A living allowance is granted by Hainan University on a monthly basis. The allowance per person is RMB 2,500 per month.
Students are required to complete enrollment procedures for every semester within stipulated period; otherwise, their scholarship may be cancelled. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the month are entitled to the full allowance of that month while those enrolled after the 15th of that month are only entitled to half of the amount.
During the study period, for any student who is absent from China due to personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding winter and summer holidays), the allowance during absence will be suspended.
For students who suspend study or drop out of school for personal reasons, or who are given disciplinary punishment by Hainan University, allowance will be terminated on the date of such suspension, dropping out or when the decision of such punishment is announced.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month after the date of graduation or expiration day of the study confirmed.
Comprehensive medical insurance
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by Hainan University in accordance with relevant regulations of studying in China stipulated by the Ministry of Education of China.Insurance fee per person is 160 CNY for Four-Week study students, 400 CNY for One-Semester Study students, and 800 CNY per year for One-Academic-Year Study students.
Application Documents for 2023 Hainan University Confucius Institute Scholarship
1. Confucius Institute Scholarship Application Form
2. A scanned copy of the passport photo page.
3. A valid copy of the HSK, HSKK certificate (test are valid for 2 years).
4. Reference letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions.
5. The employed Chinese language teachers should attach the employment certificate and recommendation letter from the employer.
6. Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
7. A photocopy of the Foreigner Physical Examination Form and Blood Test Report.
All the information applicants have provided should be true, accurate and complete.
If the documents above are not in Chinese or English, notarized documents in Chinese or English must be provided.
1. April 15th (for programs commencing in July)
2.May 15th (for programs commencing in September)
3.Sept 15th (for programs commencing in December)
4.November 15th (for programs commencing in March 2024)
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2023 on the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website (http://www.chinese.cn/page/#/pcpage/project_detail).
1. Please log on to search recommending institutions and host institutions, select the recommending institutions and choose Hainan University as the host institution.
2. Submit online application, track the application progress.
3. Recommending institutions review and recommend qualified students to study at Hainan University.
4. Hainan University examines the admission qualifications of applicants and conducts pre-admission.
5. CLEC will entrust an expert panel to review the applications. Decisions will be made based on and HSKK scores and levels, and in consideration of country distribution as well as other factors.
The results will be published about three months before school starts.
6. Hainan University will post the Admission Notice and other materials for admission. Scholarship holders need to confirm with the university to go through the procedures of studying in China, print out CIS certificate online.
7. Scholarship holders Register at the university at the designated date and time as specified in the letter of admission.
8. Those who fail to register on time, fail to pass the health assessment, drop out midway and /or are suspended from school will be deprived of their scholarship.
Chinese Bridge winners
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2023 International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate shall log onto the scholarship website and submit documents to Hainan University upon presentation of their CIS certificates. For inquiry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Add: International Student Office,
School of International Education, Hainan University,
No.58 Renmin Avenue, Haikou, Hainan Province, 570228, P. R. China
Contact Staff: Mr. Cui, Ms. Zhou
Tel: 0086-898-66291354/ 0086-898-66291348
Visit chinascholarship.net to get more information!